East Broad Street Burlington, New Jersey 08016 (609) 386-0432
The Young America Hook and Ladder Company was organized in 1857, and bought its first truck for $75.00. Originally housed on East Pearl Street, the company merged in 1869 with the Franklin Fire Engine Company #3, which had been organized in 1852. The new company took the name Young America Fire Company #3, and in 1870 built and occupied its present firehouse at 21 East Broad Street. The firehouse has been renovated and modernized since, to house more advanced equipment. The company's current equipment roster includes a 1974 Mack tower ladder with a 75' aerial device and a 1991 Ford cascade/lighting truck for filling air bottles.
In 1879, Young America purchased the bell, formerly hung in the belfry of St. Ann's Church in Brooklyn, which had warned of the British fleet in New York harbor during the Revolutionary War. Removed from the bell tower of the firehouse in 1956 for safety reasons, the bell now stands on the grounds of the Fire Engineers' office at High and Belmont Streets.